Monday, October 19, 2009

PLEASE READ: Stop The Violence; RIP #6

Over the weekend, my school community was dealt an emotional blow by the loss of Jasper Howard; slain by a violent stabbing during an altercation. There was no need for the loss of life, no need for the violence and no need for the mourning going on back on campus now. The closest friends and teammates of Jasper Howard's will never forget the day they found out their friend's life was taken away. Even throughout the University of Connecticut, the student body will always remember how they felt after the news of the Jasper Howard's death. This has affected me in a number of ways and although I did not know Jasper personally, I know his closest friends and mourn the loss of his life and what that means for his unborn child and family back home. Had I not been here in Washington D.C on an internship, I would most likely have been at this WISAO party; as I had frequently done in previous years. Although I'm grateful I was nowhere around for that altercation, I will never forget that morning. One of my best friends had called me early Sunday morning to tell me Jasper had passed away. What really hit hard for me was that my best friend was a teammate of Jasper's and when he had called me, he was clearly shaken and distressed over the loss of his teammate. This killing could have been avoided and the need for violence; fatal violence at that, was unwarranted and unnecessary.

If we are to progress in society; how can we hold within ourselves such hatred for our fellow man? If we are to progress as a people, we must value the meaning and sanctity of life; not end it. Everyone on this Earth have people who love and care for them and it's imperative that we never forget that. My heart goes out to the closest friends, teammates and family of Jasper Howard's. Most of all, my heart goes out to his unborn child who will unfortunately live their lives without their father by their side to raise them, protect them, love them and watch them grow.

Anyone reading this, if there's anything to take from this, it's this; Love One Another. Regardless of your faith, religion or creed, it can be said that we were put on this Earth to live amongst each other in harmony. Never take your friends and loved ones for granted; no one forecasts the day they leave this world and while he is in a better place where we all hope to one day be, let us live our lives to better the world we live in now. Best of wishes to all. My Prayers and condolences to all.

- David Javier Solis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here!