Monday, September 28, 2009

Life on Capitol Hill

Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 3 days out of the week where I see firsthand what the political process is all about. Since September 8th, I've been fortunate enough to work on a congressman's staff here in Washington, D.C. I see the congressman everyday and although we haven't yet had a heart to heart, I've seen enough to give me impressions about the office, but I'm choosing to talk about all that sometime in January. For now, I'll talk about what I see on a daily basis outside of just the office I work.

Sincerity

Call me naive or fickle, but I can truthfully say that I believe these people I see everyday are very involved and hope to change the world we live in; contrary to what many people might believe as living for the status quo. The people I speak with don't come off to me as wanting to keep the world the same. Some people may look at our U.S. Capitol with scorn because they believe the people in power aren't trying to get anything done and quite frankly, I've seen otherwise. Yes, some people may not agree with these ideas, but there are a diverse set of ideas nonetheless and to say that no one on Capitol Hill cares is a misconception. Again, I haven't met everyone on congress but I've met and spoken with enough people to get the impression that people typically care for the condition of society and the country. The fact that everyone has their own set of concerns for the community is an indication to me of that. There are a few things I have reservations about but again, I'll talk about that come January.

Expertise

The people here on Capitol Hill are, needless to say, very intelligent and it's something I'm glad I'm able to be a part of. Unlike casual conversations between people, there is a wide amount of competence shown in people here and if you just like to hear the sound of your voice, Washington D.C. is not the city for you. You will be called out and made a fool out of. I enjoy being challenged through debate here and even if I'm wrong about something, I value the conversation's ability to better shape my own ideas. If you're the person who shows more intellect in the debate, let it reinforce you. If you're the one on the wrong end of the spectrum time after time, maybe it's time to revamp the way in which you view politics. The fact alone that I can change someone's whole perspective about something means more to me than just the title that comes along with working for a congressional office

Networking

Everyday I go to work, I am surrounded by people who will one day contribute significantly to the political process; either as lobbyists, legislative directors, representatives, senators or chief of staff's. In one way or another, the group of people I speak with frequently are either already in a prestigious spot or are well on their way to becoming that. There's a quote that goes by "It's not what you know, it's who you know." I give great respect to that and because of it, I make sure I never burn bridges with anyone and take it upon myself to really make an impression on everyone that lasts and serves as a positive way of allowing them to open up. In the world of politics, it's all about who you know and how they can help you with whatever you're trying to pursue; sometimes this can serve to the advantage of corruption and greed. More often than not though, it's a matter of resources and knowledge. In politics, You don't have to be a cronie to maintain a form of friendship with people in power; it's a matter of what you do with that ability that makes all the difference.

I wish I could put this all in one summary but I've been here about a month and I can't compile all I've learned in one sitting so I hope you're looking forward to coming back and reading more about what it is I do and what things I've seen, learned, despised, loved, ridiculed and complimented here on Capitol Hill. Here are a few things I've eventually get around to talking about:

- Racism on Capitol Hill
- Impact of money (Greed and Corruption)
- How lobbyists can affect political process
- 'Average Joes' involved in politics
- Capitol Receptions
- Background of ppl I see everyday
- Conversations I've had with big name people
- Constituencies and their opinions
- Congressional hearings + what you see (or don't see)
- Impressions on the Hill
- Institutions surrounding congress

1 comment:

  1. Well I wish you would have told your family about this blog since we don't get to talk to you all the time.. Good job. I enjoyed the songs btw

    ReplyDelete

Comment here!