Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Dreamer's Dreams Unfulfilled Just Yet.




When I was a child, I naively felt that as I grew older and became a man, all things negative would vanish and the world would simply be at my doorstep WAITING for me to change it. I thought all it took to change the society I grew up in were simple speeches and well wishes, and all would be fine.

It was my naivete that kept me from the realities of this world; it won't change off of well wishes and speeches. Societies and communities don't transform because we merely want them to, they transform because we force it to through action, through collective effort and through self-transformations within ourselves.

How can I as just one man expect to win over hearts and change the minds of others if I cannot do this within myself?

I've realized that in order to change the mentality of one community, you've got to change the mentalities of the families within that one community. However, I can't promote health if I can't take my own advice. I can't promote education if I do not engage in education myself. I can't advocate on behalf of the homeless and ask others to feed the homeless if I have never done so myself. In all acts of community advancement I call for, I now realize that the best advocacy in the world is advocacy that is demonstrated by example.

What are my words without actions to follow them?

What are my goals without efforts to achieve them?

What are my dreams without waking up to live them?

Words, without action, mean nothing.



Here's to us changing the world through example; one day at a time.

- David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here!