Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rose in the Concrete

Dwelling on my years past since my childhood, I've come to a point in the road we call life where I look back and reminisce. I look at what's become of me and I acknowledge the blessings I've never known were there. What makes this so interesting for me though, is that I'm one among many who share a similar story to mine; coincidentally, you may be one of them. My parents came from an impoverished nation amidst war and poverty. They came here for better lives not just for themselves but more importantly for their children. This is in fact, what they've given my four sisters and I. I was fortunate enough to be born in a country of opportunity and education. This does not mean though, that I did not get to see poverty on a day to day basis growing up. I did not live the most comfortable lifestyle yet I cannot hate the very poverty I felt I was in; for it made me humble and modest. Too many people my age have become obsessed with tangible possessions instead of what can belong to one's soul. We live to live comfortably; not to live in excess. I myself, sometimes forget what my parents did for me; they came here for my life to be better. This is why I appreciate my education; because it alone will take me places I've never thought possible. Education is something not many of my friends have the opportunity of possessing and everyday I wish they at least had the choice of having it. A quality education has become too difficult to attain for so many people and I cannot forget that those very people are some of my friends I've grown up with. I know the perils that come with living in poverty all too well and live to seize the day each morning I awake. I live for a happy life among all things and hope you do the same as well. In one month, I'll be in Washington D.C. taking part in what is to become the most significant step in my career since my first day of college. After that, I hope to go to the U.K. next summer to study abroad. These two events are but a few I hope to partake in before I attempt to become what I've always dreamed of becoming; a U.S. Senator for those who are curious. My life has taken me down many roads of which I knew nothing of; through paths I've never known. I've had my ups and I've had my downs; as I'm sure you have as well, but if I can say one thing, it's This: that you never forget where you come from. Remember that it is your roots that are the reason you stand.

- David Javier Solis

10 comments:

  1. Why do you want to become a US Senator, David?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy working with the legislative process and partaking in activities which would require that I answer to my constituents; while at the same time bringing up my own ideas in congress. I like the idea of indefinite debate time too. lol, it's really just something I've always wanted to aspire to. It's a prestigious position in government where people raise certain proposals and cast a vote on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you aspiring to make a career out of becoming a US Senator?

    ~CC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to take steps to getting there before I would even get elected. That's ultimately what I hope to become though. Before I get there, I'd have to work in law; not sure if I want to go to grad school or law school though. What's your career?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My career? I'm a father--well, that's what I consider my career anyway. As far as the work I do: my username says it all. . . But really, I think I could be categorized as a Logistics Tech.

    Have you considered entering the "work force" before going on to grad school? It is a good way to gain some practical knowledge and common sense, and a good chance to discover what theories and ideas taught in the education system really work and are practical, and which ideas will not work and are not practical; plus you might make a little money to help defer the cost of grad school. Also, you will see how legislation at all levels—local, state, and federal—affects your life, that of your family, the company you work for, or the service you provide, and most importantly, your personal liberty, property rights, and wallet!

    ~CC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finishing my education as soon as possible is important to me and although I've yet to enter the "work force", I'm much more focused on finishing my education than anything else. I acknowledge a lot of ideas in our education system are outdated and not appropriate; which is part of why I want to take part in the legislative process. Education absolutely needs reform but too often gets caught up in the debate of what's politically correct. I'm actually interning on Capitol Hill for 4 months this upcoming semester, so that'll be my first hands-on experience with federal-level politics and legislation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, David, you are aspiring to become a career politician then?

    ~CC

    ReplyDelete
  8. The simple answer to that is yes; my intentions are to be in politics for my entire career.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "my intentions are to be in politics for my entire career."

    A powerful statement but an honest one. We know now, it is for your sake and not the people this path to "elitism".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure if you took my words and felt that my career path is an elitist one. Maybe you took the context of my statement wrong; but I see nothing elitist about wanting to be involved in politics for my whole career. Last thing I would ever describe myself as is elitist. Now in terms of my purposes and motives for wanting to be in politics is more than just for myself; it is exactly for the people. The policies I would want to bring to the forefront are anything BUT elitist. I want more power in the hands of the people; not the elite. A person with my ideas or ideas similar to mine wouldn't want to empower the elite; while I hope to engage myself with legislation, I'm not sure it's fair to characterize my aspiration of becoming a senator as "elitist".

    ReplyDelete

Comment here!